Friday, November 25, 2005

Arequipa - Thanksgiving Chifa


Chifa

I've been impressed with the number of "chifas" or Chinese food restuarants in Peru. One of our cabbies told us it was slightly healthier than regular Peruvian fare because there tended to be more veggies in it. And I must say it's pretty hard to find good veggies in Peru, given that salads and fruits with skin are no nos. So last night we went to our first chifa place that also happened to be vegeterian. We ordered tofu with veggies and a veggie chow mein. Yeah, the dishes where pretty terrible, but the veggies were welcome. And it wasn't cheap by Peruvian standards. Each dish cost about $2-$3 whereas, you can find set menu meals for about half that and those prices seem consistent with every chifa place in Arequipas. I don't think I'll be getting it again any time soon, but I had to try. The owner's name was Sun Li and the place was call Sunlight Asian Food. She is Taiwanese and was incredibly sweet. She was really touched that we wanted to take a picture with her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I note the number of comments is dropping but certainly not for lack of interest(at least on my part).Keep the blogs coming...Have started to forward them to friends...P

Anonymous said...

No soy sauce to mask the taste of the bad veggies? I would come out of a trip like that emaciated with bad dreams of snakes under my bed.

Anonymous said...

Jen is looking a tad bit gaunt. How about increasing her steroid intake? A Macy Parade balloon crashed down on some kids, Macy's gave them VIP tickets to next year's Thanksgiving Parade. BINGO!