Friday, February 17, 2006

Asking For It

(This is an old post, I had trouble publishing a few days ago)...

Asking For It should have been the title of Simon's Bangkok post. I think I cursed myself, as I joked with some friends back at home about needing to eat some improperly handled food to lose all the weight I gained while on the Marco Polo and from the Argentine steaks, fries and quarter kilo tubs of ice cream. On my last day in SF, of all places, I developed a stomach ache which had stuck with me through the flight to Asia. I wasn't particularly hungry but did my best to have a bite of everything that Simon ate. And of course, I got sick. I'll spare you the gory detials, it wasn't that bad, but I didn't want to venture too far away from our guest house for a few days. But I'm okay now (though the same weight) and ready to conquer, after all, I am in noodle heaven.

But I agree who heartedly about our obsession with food. Had I set up the blog, I would have given it the subtitle: Where Simon and Louie eat their way through two (three) continents. I really do believe that food is the best way to understand a culture. I took a cooking course in town and learned how to make a fried rice salad, a meat salad, a local beef stew, ginger fish (not that good) and chicken steamed in banana leaves - all things that I don't have the proper equipment or spices to make at home. But it was a really neat experience.

No comments: