Friday, March 31, 2006

Today Nepal, Tomorrow Tibet

Sometimes Trekking, Sometimes Rafting

So there is this Nepali guide song that is in Nepali except for the lines "Sometimes trekking, sometimes rafting." And so that's what we did. Apparently Nepal is famous for it's rafting, and so we took a two day trip down the Bhote Khosi. I had never been rafting before and for whatever reason, it never really compelled me. I was pretty indifferent, but I figured if there was ever a time to try, it was here in Nepal. As it turns out I had a blast despite the fact that the rapids were mainly class 2 and 3s due to the drought and the spring time; not the rager it usually is after the monsoon season in the fall. I see rafting as a more physical and exciting version of the water rides I used to do at amusement parks. I know that's probably an oversimplification to say the least, but it was fun. We stayed at this place called the Lost Resort and it was really beautiful and peaceful there.

In our group were these five girls who were spending the year volunteering in remote villages in the Terai of Nepal near India and had gotten two weeks off for vacation. I must say I was really impressed. They were living with host families in separate villages and their lifestyles were like the locals. Dal Bhaat twice a day, sharing a room, latrines, one didn't have electricity, the whole nine yards. They had nothing but our full respect.

Last Days in Kathmandu and Taking off for Tibet

And I was really exhausted when we got back. I thought it was all the rowing, being tired of being in Kathmandu and I felt a little bit itchy to move on. We've been in Nepal for almost six weeks, which is the longest we've been anywhere. But as it turns out I've got a head cold. nargh. But I'm sad to be leaving Nepal. I've gotten used to the craziness of Kathmandu. It seems a shame to leave now that I've mastered walking down the street without getting hit by a rickshaw and make our way back to our guest house despite the fact that there are no street names.

I did some last minute sightseeing (I finally got a glimpse of the Kumari living goddess, an eight year old girl that lives in a temple and is worshipped as a goddess).

We also went to the movies and saw a very western style Indian movie (Being Cyrus) in the movie theater. I was a little disappointed we didn't see some Bollywood, but I must say I was impressed with the theater. Stadium style, assigned seating (e. leven no more pincher move!), huge screen and super clean. They even checked my bag as I walked in to make sure I wasn't smuggling in snacks, smokes or gum.

So we leave at 6 am in a jeep for Tibet. Every tour agency we spoke to told us not to expect very much from the guide or the guesthouses once we cross the border, but we're both psyched to be back in the mountains. More when we get to Lhasa.

By the way, we decided that we needed a little more time to avoid rushing through China, so we're now coming back home at the end of June. Clarence (or anyone else), if you can make it to China before then, let us know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys - loooooved reading about your adventures in kathmandu/nepal/tibet...
it had it all - great descriptions of the hiking/vistas, danger in the snowstorm, altitude sickness, hypothermia, poker tournaments, rafting ambassadors, maoists, yogis...

can't wait to hear more!

love jill

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Just took a little time to get caught up. Wow! You are my new heroes!! Your blog totally kicks-ass. I am already anxious for China. As awesome as everything sounds, it goes without saying that we are looking forward to seeing you when you make it home in June.

JP and Toddlee