Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Salvador and Deep Thoughts


I definitely agree with Jen that Salvador is the most beautiful place we`ve seen yet, at least the small historic district. (The modern areas are vast and unimpressive) The buildings have aged in a graceful, regal way. These dilapidated facades are interspersed with newly renovated colorful ones, creating an effortlessly vital streetscape.

Also, despite the many warnings about how sketchy the place is, I haven`t felt particularly unsafe.

Big Thoughts on Brazil

I just finished this great book that looks at Brazilian history, politics, and culture using football as a lens. Alex Bellos` Futebol>A Brazilian Way of Life. I highly recommend it, even if you don`t care about any of those topics. Great sense of humor, incredible stories. The author's main premise is that Brazil houses the world's most talented footballers, but the corruption and lack of professionalism stunts the full evolution of ths sport locally.

I could sense a similar frustration from Rodrigo, a Brazilian we met in Arequipas. He urged us to visit the south of Brazil, where he's from, because it's so modern and well developed. He proudly described the roads as being like Swiss highways, and actually expressed some disdain for Salvador and Rio because of the disoder there. ''Sure, it's beautiful, but you're constantly afraid of being robbed.''

The common notion is that Brazil has enormous potential and wealth in its natural resources, sheer size, vibrant diverse culture, etc. Still, the country continues to flounder economically and socially, due to corruption and the wealth gap (which corroption seeks to further) acting as an anchor. I guess the same story could be told of many developing countries, including the Philippines.

Mental Health

I have to admit that I`ve also begun to long for simple, familiar food. Brazilian food is better than Peruvian fare, but is pretty oily and, frankly, not that great (with Marly`s home cooking as an exception). Even the novelty of street food has worn off somewhat, which is amazing to me. Right now, I want some good rice, not this non-sticky stuff here, that's often covered in oil.

Mostly, though, I tire of the constant decision-making. Where, when, how much to spend. This goes for food and every other facet of life - housing, tours, clothing, Internet, travel, how to spend the day, etc. Today, for example, I spent a couple of hours looking for a reaonably priced cotton t-shirt. A process that might take 30 mins. at home was a retail death march from one crowded shop to the next (ok, it wasn`t that bad). Each one had a series of pushy clerks trying to get me to try something on. I think to maintain sanity in the long term I occasionally have to spend a little more money to ease the process.

Honestly, though, whenever I start to get worn down, I think `I'm in Brazil!' and everything suddenly appears better.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brazil is among the 12 largest economies in the world,the largest in SA.It has the largest foreign debt among developing countries.After almost defaulting,the economy has turned around under Pres.Lula and is now a darling of foreign investors(together with Russia).Its stock market and currency are among the top performing investments in '05-P

Anonymous said...

"These dilapidated facades are interspersed with newly renovated colorful ones, creating an effortlessly vital streetscape"

Sheesh, college boy. I mean seriously, who talks like that? Are you plagiarizing a travel guide?

-eric

Anonymous said...

upon reading the first comment, please bring me back 1000 shares of a matto grosso soybean company as a souvenir. thank you.

Anonymous said...

i've been meaning to email you since you've been posting your travelogue -- I LOVE IT!! (especially your description of DEET as a citrus marinade for your flesh for the mosquitoes). it's totally fueled my wanderlust. it's especially fun to read about beaches now that it's a balmy 7 degrees in beautiful chicago. i'm glad you and jen are having fun and keep the fun blogs coming.
jill

Anonymous said...

feliz navidad....feliz navidad...i wanna wish you a merry christmas from the bottom...of my heart

Anonymous said...

Simon and Jen -

I've been thoroughly enjoying your posts - I usually read them during some time theft here at the office. Looking forward to more!

-Ezra

Anonymous said...

I completely identify with your experience of travel fatigue and I think you’ve correctly identified the culprit: endless decision making. I’m wondering if you two also pine for a sense of ‘belonging?’ When traveling for more than a couple of weeks, I start to feel like I’m constantly on the outside of the circle, not quite getting the jokes, always a little on guard / on edge. You? Anyway, I love your blog  Happy holidays!

-Liz